Mycotoxin (Mold) Exposure
Mycotoxins are toxic compounds produced by mold, and chronic exposure to them can cause serious harm to your health. Although mold toxicity is believed to be very prevalent, it is significantly under-diagnosed because the symptoms of exposure are wide-ranging and diverse. Exposure can cause many issues within the body, such as fatigue, anxiety, digestive problems, respiratory issues, immune dysregulation, and neurological impairment. At BioReset® Medical, we take a comprehensive approach to addressing mycotoxin exposure, starting with a detailed history of symptoms and several tests to confirm the presence of mycotoxins.
If mycotoxins are present, our practitioners may use a combination of therapies to help address their effects, including nutritional counseling, detoxification protocols, and immune system support. We also address the root cause of the mold exposure, which can include environmental remediation and lifestyle modifications to prevent further exposure.
If you are experiencing symptoms that may be related to mycotoxin exposure or have concerns about mold toxicity, contact BioReset® Medical to schedule a consultation. Our team can help evaluate your symptoms and develop a treatment plan to help you achieve your health goals.
The primary source of mold toxicity for most people comes from inhaling mold spores. Mycotoxins can enter the body by inhalation, touch, eating contaminated food. Most significantly, though, they are continually released inside the body by mold that has formed colonies, usually in the sinuses and intestines. Once colonized, mold produces biofilms, a gelatinous, mucus-like layer containing bacteria, fungi, and mold – similar to what naturally forms at the edge of a pond. The biofilm provides the mold with a protective environment, inaccessible to the immune system, allowing it to continue to thrive, and release mycotoxins long after the environmental exposure is gone.
Mold in and of itself is not a mycotoxin. Mycotoxins are toxic compounds produced by mold as a protective mechanism. Not all types of mold produce mycotoxins, but those that do can make many different mycotoxins. Think about a slice of bread that is beginning to get moldy. You’ll often notice a green fuzzy substance on the bread. That green substance is secreting tiny nanoparticles of mycotoxins.
While mycotoxins are released to help ensure the mold’s survival, they often end up in a person’s bloodstream due to the colony’s proximity to the blood vessels within the nose and the intestines. Once the mycotoxins are loose in the bloodstream, the immune system attempts to deal with them, but this can cause significant inflammation as well as immune dysregulation.
The symptoms of mold toxicity and biotoxin illness are wide-ranging. Experiencing chronic sinus or respiratory issues, digestive problems, fatigue, or brain fog may indicate that a patient should get tested for mold and mycotoxin exposure. At BioReset® Medical, we utilize several tests to check for mold and mycotoxin exposure, including urine, antibody, and nasal swab. If we discover a patient is suffering from mold and mycotoxin exposure, we will work to eradicate the biofilm to eliminate the mold’s protection and stop the production of mycotoxins. Additionally, we will have patients investigate their environment because removing the exposure is crucial to healing.
With all of this information, practitioners at BioReset Medical can then figure out the best ways to address the mycotoxins and the symptoms they are causing.